This conference already took place.
Here you will conferences containing related topics
Course No 16934Process Validation in the light of the revised Annex 15 and FDA Requirements
16-17 October 2019, Berlin, Germany
Non-ECA Members: EUR 1.790,--
ECA Members: EUR 1.590,--
EU GMP Inspectorates: EUR 895,--
APIC Members (does not include ECA membership): EUR 1.690,--
(All prices excl. VAT)
Tel.: +49 (0)6221 / 84 44 0 E-Mail: email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact us:
You can find all other dates of this seminar in this overview.
Dr Christopher Burgess, Chair of ECA´s Analytical Quality Control Group, UK
Klaus Eichmüller, EU Inspector, Germany
Dr Line Lundsberg-Nielsen, NNE, UK
Gert Moelgaard, Past Chairman of ISPE, Head of ECA´s Validation Group, Denmark
Dr Thomas Schneppe, Bayer Bitterfeld GmbH, Germany
With publication of the Guidance for Industry “Process Validation: General Principles and Practices” 2011, the FDA requires a new direction. Validation is now a „Life Cycle Process” with 3 stages:
The focus is on process knowledge and process understanding. Both should be a result of development and verified in routine production. The “magic” 3 batches are not mentioned any more. What is very important nowadays is the term „scientific sound“, and explicit statistics are mentioned. Six Sigma elements (e.g. Design of Experiments, DoE) are also mentioned directly or indirectly. There will be a new stage in routine production called „continued process verification“.
- Process Design
- Process Qualification
- Continued Process Verification
With the revision of Annex 15 EU GMP Guide the EU is going in the same direction: Validation is a lifecycle with pharmaceutical development als basis and also a stage 3 is mentioned, called Ongoing Process Verification. In Europe 3 validation approaches are now possible – traditional, continuous and hybrid.
These questions are discussed, and the possibilities for implementation are covered.
- How can the new requirements be achieved?
- How fit the FDA requirements into European guidelines and vice versa? , How can process knowledge and process understanding be demonstrated on the basis of development studies?
- When is a process valid now?
- Which parameters can be used for knowledge and understanding studies?
- How can „continued/ongoing process verification” be realised?
- How can statistics help?
Since 1987 the FDA Guideline on Process Validation has been the basis for qualification and validation. Within the new FDA programme “Pharmaceutical cGMPs for the 21st Century” there was an announcement for a revision of the guideline. A new FDA Policy Guide of 2004 gives some hints to the new validation approach. In November 2008 the new “Guidance for Industry Process Validation: General Principles and Practices” was published as a draft and came into operation in January 2011. That is now FDA’s „current thinking“. Chapter 1 of the EU GMP Guide gives hints for more emphasises on process capabilities and varieties within process validation also in Europe. EMA´s Process Validation Guidance and also the revised Annex 15 which come into force on 1 October 2015 takes a life cycle approach to process validation.
The addressees of the event are qualified staff charged with or responsible for validation activities, such as commissioners for validation, heads of quality assurance, department heads, etc.
It also addresses members of validation teams (e.g. engineers, chemists, pharmacists, microbiologists) as well as representatives of the plant engineering industry and consultants.
The current EU Approach on Process Validation
- How the concept of Process Validation is about to change
- Ongoing changes in the Quality Management philosophy
- Real-life examples
Background and Environment of Process Validation – Industry view
- Process validation in EU guidelines
- What has changed: Revision of Chapter 1 EU GMP Guide - EMA´s Guidance Process Validation - Annex 15 revision
- Excursion QbD
- Excursion Legacy Products
- The future of process validation
Case Study Process Validation
- Process Validation in guidelines – history
- The FDA Process Validation Guidance –an overview
- European perspective: Annex 15 revision
Basics on Statistics
- Role of SOP in the company QM System
- How to deal with the established 3 batch approach?
- Key aspects (Preconditions, Stages 1-3, Review)
- Further deliverables from the data and link to other company SOPs
- An overview about statistical aspects
- What statistics do you need for modern Process Validation?
Systems and Tools for gaining Process Understanding and establishing the appropriate Control Strategy (I)
- Quality by Design and how it is an enabler for Process Design
Performance Qualification Approach
- Quality Risk Management
- Process Analytical Technology
- Design of Experiments (including a practical factorial design for establishing the design space or the operating ranges for the process)
- How the process design is reflected in the control strategy
- Applying control strategy for stage 2, process qualification and process validation
Continued/Ongoing Process Verification
- Design & qualification of facility, utilities & equipment
- Performance qualification approach
- Performance qualification protocol
- Documenting the quality baseline
- Process mapping &critical process variables
- Process data collection and collation
- Trend analysis & Statistical Process Control
- Deviation management & CAPA
- Change management
- Management’s role in Process Validation
The delegates examine a process flow diagram and generate an Ishikawa diagram to identify critical elements.
The delegates make a statistical evaluation of validation data (e.g. trend analysis, Cpk).
Continued/Ongoing Process Verification Workshop
The delegates make a High Level Risk Assessment to analyze where they are going to focus in process verification.
1) Inspectors Aide memoire on Process Validation: The Guide is developed by the Central Authority of the Länder for Health Protection with regard to Medicinal Products and Medical Devices (ZLG) – English translation. This document covers the whole spectrum of process validation regarding the Annex 15 revision The Aide Memoire is really helpful as a tool to prepare for an Authority’s GMP Inspection.
2) Free Download: ECA´s Modern Qualification Good Practice Guide